Thursday 11 April 2013

Week 6: Exporting To Sketch-Up

This week we double checked the exporting process to ensure there were no complications later on

As the modelling I am doing at the moment will eventually be exported and imported to Crysis, I thought it would be wise to check the export/import process early on in the development to try and solve any complications (if there are any) early.

After trying a few different export file formats (.OBJ, .DWG, .3ds), the best export method is to export it as a .3ds file.


As can be seen with this first export/import into Google SketchUp, alot of the surfaces are missing, and there have been additional lines added to the geometry (SketchUp likes to make surfaces out of triangles). The additional lines is not a major concern as when the sketch up file is exported into crysis, these lines will not show. The missing geometry however, is a concern.

After trying different export/import methods and settings I have been unsuccessful in solving this issue. Instead, I plan on exporting/importing as much as I can from 3DS to SketchUp and then model the missing components within SketchUp to ensure that it will work.

Due to this unforeseen additional step it will mean that I need to finish modelling in 3DS earlier than originally planned so that I can allow extra time to model missing components in sketch up


No comments:

Post a Comment